This entry into the “BIG” Weekly Photo Challenge symbolizes so many things for me in the realm of “BIG”.
1. Cristo Redentor, is a statue of Jesus of Nazareth in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; considered the largest Art Deco statue in the world and the 5th largest statue of Jesus in the world. (BIG)
2. Christ the Redeemer is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. (BIG)
3. It is 39.6 metres (130 ft) tall, including its 9.5 metres (31 ft) pedestal, and 30 metres (98 ft) wide. It weighs 635 tonnes (625 long,700 short tons), and is located at the peak of the 700-metre (2,300 ft) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city. (BIG)
4. As such, the Cristo Redentor statue in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, is photographed by thousands each year. (BIG)
5. I, not only, visited this massive statue (as seen in the photo, albeit a few pounds heavier – don’t judge) but I am one of the millions to have photographed it with my own lense and myself in the photo. (BIG)
6. Christ the Redeemer statue (or Christo Redentor as it’s known in Portuguese) is a worldwide symbol for peace. This amazing statue took nine years to complete, and is made from reinforced concrete with the outer layers being soapstone. These materials were chosen for the Rio de Janeiro statue due to their hard wearing qualities and ease to work with. (BIG BIG)
7. I was able to make something happen that I’ve only dreamed of. (BIGGEST)
With the 2014 Olympics scheduled to go down in Rio de Janeiro I am hoping to have the opportunity to return. Is Rio de Janeiro BIG on your list?